Monday, May 13, 2013

FMMJ: 5/9/1998 - 5/11/1998



Saturday May 9, 1998

Jered's fighting fevers all day. It comes and goes but mostly comes: We have prayed for Jered, the girls and strength for us. How much we have prayed can never be measured. God's grace and mercy has overwhelmed us. For Mother's day, I am praying for Jered to have a restful day; that all his vital signs would remain stable.

Dr. told us Jered would die in 2 days.

Sunday May 10, 1998

It's Mother's Day. My son is still alive, for this I am so grateful. Today's doppler reading showed Jered's brain pressures or spasms had stopped. I cried at the news. I was so happy. We had realized before the doctor can do anything – the spasms must stop. Jered was resting. Dr. Tenney decided to take him off the barbiturate (pentabarbital). They said he would slowly wake up in 2 or 3 days. They were hopeful he would. The nurses were not as hopeful because Jered has sustained a severe bleed and lack of blood to that area of the brain. We wait to see if Jered wakes up.

Monday May 11, 1998

Oscar witnessed Jered yawning at 11:10 pm. I had gone to bed. Oscar stayed with Jered again. About 3:00 am Oscar noticed that Jered was trying to open his eyes. By 5:00 Jered had his eyes open half way. He was opening and shutting his eyes when Oscar came to wake me and see for myself. I cried because I couldn't believe my eyes. Our son had opened his eyes. By the afternoon, he was attempting to move his head to the direction of the sound of voices. Maggie (his nurse) asked him to blink his eyes if he understood. He did. She asked him to grip her hand and he gave her a weak grip. Later Jered gripped dad's hand when he asked him to. In the evening Jered's nurse, Ashley, pulled a pointed object across the bottom of each foot. He responded by pulling away his feet. Oh happy day!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment